Points Of AttractionTo learn more about these attractions click on the links to your left. To view an attraction click on the map number below. To learn more about the history of Windsor click here.
Ellsworth Homestead (1871),
WINDSOR HISTORICAL SOCIETY,
FIRST CHURCH IN WINDSOR (UCC),
LOOMIS CHAFFEE SCHOOL,
Windsor, Connecticut's first community, was launched in 1633 when settlers sailed from Plymouth Colony in Massachusetts to establish themselves at the confluence of the Farmington and Connecticut rivers. The Indians called this place Matianuck.
The Reverend John Warham and 60 members of his congregation, a church organized in England in 1630, arrived two years later, and renamed the settlement Dorchester. A final name change to Windsor was decreed in 1637 by the colony's General Court.
Windsor has been the home of one Governor, two Lieutenant Governors, two Secretaries of the State, and one State Treasurer. Its original land has been used to spin off no less than 20 other Connecticut towns, in whole or part, from Litchfield and Torrington to the west, to Tolland in the east.
For approximately 100 years (1830-1930) woolen mills and paper mills located on the Farmington River in the Poquonock and Rainbow sections of Windsor provided employment for up to 500 people.
Historically, Windsor's economy has been dominated by two pursuits: tobacco farming and brickmaking (since 1675). In its heyday, there were more than 40 brickyards in Windsor. The last one disappeared in the 1960's. The first tobacco crop was planted in 1640 with seeds brought to Connecticut from the Virginia tobacco plantations. While many acres still remain ``under tents" much of its original land has been redeveloped for recreational purposes or for today's modern office and corporate parks.
This site maintained by:
Internet Business Consulting, Inc.
PO Box 436
Tolland, CT 06084
Copyrighted town-usa.com 1997
| Credits | Disclaimer |